Sunday, March 7, 2010

Found a scanner!

Lena and I visited the Galleria dell' Accademia yesterday morning and we both saw David for the first time. I have free entrance so I could take my time to look at the work and know I can always go back later on. I spent about two hours there and only made it to through the Sala del Colosso (which holds works done by Botticelli, Lippi, Perugino, and the plaster model of "Rotto delle Sabine" by Giambologna [see sketches]) and the Galleria dei Prigioni, a space created specifically for Michelangelo's "David". The hall leading up to David holds a number of Michelangelo's unfinished marble sculptures intended for the tomb of Pope Julius II. Seeing the raw chisel marks in these huge pieces of stone allow the audience to appreciate even more the effort it took to carve David.
I am also happy to report that I discovered a scanner in the printmaking room so I can finally post some pages of my sketchbook. I have some more that need to be edited but here are a few - Enjoy!


Jan. 25 - Dad on the phone

Feb. 3 + 6 - Bus ride to Venice and some boots.

Mar. 6 - An unfinished work by Michelangelo + David

Giambologna's model for "Rotto delle Sabine"
The real one is outside the Uffizi in Piazza Signoria next to fake David




No comments:

Post a Comment