Sunday, January 31, 2010

Almost adjusted...

They say when you travel it takes one day to adjust for every hour time difference, therefore can use the jet-lag card for two more days of tiredness and after that I'm out of excuses. Besides the time change, my body is having some trouble figuring out the Italian eating schedule (mainly because my mind doesn't know it either). I'm still unsure what to eat and when to eat it. I have about a 4 days supply of Kashi bars and mini-pop kettle corn so hopefully I'll be adjusted to the 8:30 dinners and who knows what time lunches and breakfasts.
One aspect in which I can see myself getting better is everyday navigation of the city. Where two days ago I spent about fifteen minutes walking the wrong direction with my map out the whole time, today I felt confident leaving the apartment and walking to church without consulting it once. I am also working very hard on my italian and can see improvements already. The local Florentines seem to appreciate the effort and are always more friendly if you at least attempt their language.
Yesterday I went for "caffé" with Lena, Libby, and Cecilia up Via Giuseppe Verdi near Santa Croce. We talked a lot about the fact that Florence is overrun by American tourists and students and Cecilia showed us places to go where they could be avoided. Once I get a memory card for my camera I'll start putting pictures up on Flickr. I'm also looking for a scanner to get some of my sketches posted as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment